Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Extra! Extra! Read All About It...

It is important for educators to teach their students the skills they will need for the 21st century workplace. The Partnership for 21st Century Skills is an organization that, "brings together the business community, education leaders, and policymakers to define a powerful vision for 21st century education to ensure every child's success as citizens and workers in the 21st century." I believe that the Partnership for 21st Century Skills is an organization that could help transform education to best fit the needs of our students.


While I was browsing the site, I came across the Skills Map for Social Studies. I am a social studies teacher and I am always looking for innovative ways to teach my students. The Skills Map for Social Studies is definitely a resource that I will refer to when developing lessons. According to the site, "The maps will enable educators, administrators and policymakers to gain concrete examples of how 21st Century Skills can be integrated into core subjects." I like this because it shows teachers how they could teach these skills while still focusing on content.

Unfortunately, I was surprised to see that there are only 10 States that are working towards strengthening students' knowledge of 21st century skills. If it is so essential for students to learn these skills, than why aren't there more states participating with this collaboration? Isn't our Federal Government concerned about our position within the global community? If so, than how come they have not mandated states to take an active approach towards implementing these skills into state-wide curriculum's?

I recommend visiting the site...I am curious to know what you think!






References



http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/route21/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=44

2 comments:

  1. J Salomon,

    I also ask the same questions; how come there are no more states joining this initiative? and why our government is not doing enough to mandate a new curriculum to teach 21st century skills? I don’t believe the real problem is lack of funding for our schools but a lack of vision from our elected officials. We need to have real change happen in our schools and education system before it gets in worse shape.

    I appreciate you pointing out to the skills map for social studies. As a new teacher (my second year), like you I’m always looking for innovative ways and resources to teach my students the content they need to learn. Although I teach third grade I believe I can incorporate the 4th grade curriculum ideas that are listed on the map. You see, if our students had an opportunity to collaborate with others like we are doing right now, can you imagine what they could do? They could expand their horizons and explore new worlds across the distance. They could exchange their ideas globally and learn so much from one another. This is what we need for all of our students in the United States. Is it possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also disappointed to see only ten states listed as partners. I was especially shocked to see California was not one of the partners. Although, I have to say the list of thirty-eight business partners was impressive. I don't know exactly what it would take for more states to get on board. I'm not sure a federal mandate would be the answer. I'm afraid it might end up as the now famous, No Child Left Behind.

    A key point that the Partnership illustrated was that 21st century skills, along with thinking skills, need to be incorporated into content areas. They should not be taught as an isolated subject.

    Thanks for sharing the Skills Map for Social Studies. I also found many useful resources throughout the site. The Route 21 link was so full of information, at first I found it difficult to decide where to start.

    ReplyDelete