Sunday, December 27, 2009

Reflection

The GAME plan is a self-directed learning method that requires a person to set goals, develop ways to take action to fulfill the goals, monitor the progress and steps it takes to achieve the goals and finally evaluate the overall process. The GAME plan I developed is focused on integrating a new technology into the classroom each month and learning the diverse needs of my students. I believe that I have done a good job working towards achieving the goals I have set for my GAME plan. However, I have realized that the goals I have set for myself are long-term, making my GAME plan a career-long endeavor.

I have never used a process like the GAME plan before, yet I have learned quite a bit from this experience. First and foremost, I believe that I have truly become aware of my learning styles. I always had a strong idea of how I learn and the ways in which I prefer to learn, but in school my teachers did not always cater to my learning needs. However, in self-directed learning, I am able to focus on my learning preferences making it easier for me to master the skills I need to properly integrate technology into the classroom. Because I had an opportunity to reflect on the importance of focusing my learning towards my needs, I have realized the impact I would have on my students if I did the same thing. Therefore, the goal I set to achieve, learning the diverse needs of my students, has become a major priority. I have since begun to implement a minimum of 4 learning styles into each of my lessons. The new technology I have been learning is making this process easy for me because most 21st century technology is already geared towards multiple learning styles. In addition, I am in the process of changing my classroom to reflect a more student-driven learning environment. As a social studies teacher, this course has opened my eyes to the vast amounts of possibilities and educational advantages students have when driving their own learning. I am confident that what I have learned from this course will lead to my students’ ability to become better learners and for that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment