Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Constructivism in Practice

Each week, I am introduced to new ways to make learning more fun and meaningful within the classroom. Although I was already familiar with project-based learning and learning by design, I have steered away from using this approach within my classroom. Although two of the classrooms within my school contain computers, the overall department lacks some basic resources. My students gain information because I give it to them; they do not have access to the Internet, a library, textbooks, and certain supplies. Not having access to these resources makes it difficult to execute these projects. However, after reading some of the ideas that were presented this week (and some did not use the internet), I am going to begin to incorporate this type of learning into my classroom once again.

The constructionist learning theory is based upon the idea that, “knowledge is actively constructed in the mind of the learner (Orey, 2001).” One way the learner constructs this knowledge is through hands-on experience. Hands-on experience includes the use of technology; a powerful tool when it comes to project-based learning. Technology makes the creation and execution of a project much easier than hand created projects. It also gives every student an equal opportunity to produce a project that reflects what it is they have learned.

There are many technology-based programs that enable students to design meaningful products that can be used as a learning tool for all students to benefit from. One tool that students can use to help them present their project is PowerPoint. I like using PowerPoint because it does not require the Internet and it can be designed to look like a Web quest. The ability to make PowerPoint interactive is also important because it targets multiple learning styles. In the DVD, Dr. Orey states that, “In constructionism, it is getting kids to build stuff (Laureate, 2008).” PowerPoint correlates with this theory because it involves students, “building some sort of artifact that they can reflect upon and share with others (Orey, 2001).

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found some activities that you could use in your classroom. Your lack of materials sounds like quite a challenge. Would you compare the results from information presented with the constructionist method and your normal methods?

    I, too, use Power Point in my classes. The students love it, but they sometimes get so enamored in the technology that they neglect the content parts of the project. They love the colors, fonts, and graphics, but forget they are supposed to be making a subject presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and I was complaining about not having enough computers for my students. Power Point is a great resource and students can creat soem very good group based projects and presentations.

    Can you not access teh internet becasue of the cost or becasue there are rules against it.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna,

    I am not really sure what it is you are asking me at the end of your first paragraph. However, I am going to answer it according to what I think you might be asking.

    My method of teaching does incorporate some aspects of the constructionist method, but not as much as I would like. The obstacles that I face definitely make it harder for me to implement this type of learning to its full potential. I do believe that my students would benefit more if they were able to engage in constructing projects that are aimed to enhance their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The students cannot access the internet, however, I can and I am also able to project it to the SmartBoard. I am grateful to have this access, however, it definitely makes it much harder to incorporate project-based learning - since I hardly have any other resources.

    My school is working on getting an Intranet, but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

    Does your school have firewalls on the internet? If so, do you find that they truly limit your use of the internet and make it difficult to use it for what you want at times?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaclyn,

    You are right, when students create projects this helps them make meaning of what they are learning. I'm a visual learner and I like to teach my lessons using PowerPoint. I like to include as many pictures as possible to help my students understand what they need to learn. I also think that when students create PowerPoints to share their learning with their classmates, everyone’s learning is more meaningful. We need to give our students the opportunity to collaborate with their peers in creating products that integrate technology to communicate their knowledge.

    ReplyDelete