Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Over the years, technology has been used as a way for students to learn from rather than learning along with the technology. According to the cognitive learning theory, students learn through listening, watching, touching, reading, experiencing information and then processing and remembering the information. This week’s learning resources correlate with the principles of the cognitive learning theory, because each resource aligns with the senses and allows the students to develop a concrete understanding of the material being presented to them.

One resource that I feel fits into this theory is virtual field trips. Virtual field trips are a wonderful concept; especially for my students. Due to the location of my school (in a jail), I am not able to physically take my students to historical sites, or even outside for that matter. However, after I taught my lesson on the pyramids, we were able to go on a virtual field trip to Egypt and view them as if we were actually there. Since my students are predominately visual learners, this method of teaching is much more effective because it taps into their individual cognitive abilities. Additionally, by taking these field trips, the students are able to create an episodic memory of the event to reference in the future (Laureate, 2008).


This is a tool that I use frequently and I really think it brings life to a lesson. I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to travel the world and create my own virtual field trips that can be used as a part of a lesson. One day...

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Author.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. To be honest, before this assignment, it would never have occurred to me to use a virtual field trip. I like to learn by reading, looking up information and using my imagination to envision concepts, so it was not automatic for me to take a visual tour! I see now that there is great opportunity to open a door of learning for all types of students. I teach math, so I'm having a little trouble finding a field trip that focuses on an exact math standard, but I'm sure some are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math is definitely a difficult subject to find virtual field trips on, however, there are a lot of topics within math that coincide with science. You might be able to take a trip online to the Air and Space Museum or the Baseball Hall of Fame and tweak your lesson so that it focuses on the connections between math and science. If I come across anything, I will be sure to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaclyn,
    I agree that virtual field trips open a window of opportunity that our students otherwise may never have known existed. In your teaching situation it looks as though virtual field trips are an essential tool in your classroom. I think it is great that you are exploring creative ways to enrich the learning of your students. When you get your chance to travel the world and create virtual field trips of your own, I am sure you will capture the most interesting and informative locations possible to share with your students. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for the Internet... Sometimes I do not know what I would do without it. Do not get me wrong, I have taught without computers before; just a chalkboard and a projector. However, having access to the internet (just me, not the students) is definitely a plus because it brings the outside world into the classroom. Have a good weekend... Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virtual field trips do open up a world of possibilites for all of our students, but thank you for pointing out just how important it is episodic memory for students that have no other options. I often take for granted when I take students on a local field trip that they can connect that experience to some other they have had. Some students have not had any experiences that pass their own walls or city neighborhoods. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete