Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Action Plan – In response to my GAME plan.

There are a variety of resources I will need in order to carry out my GAME plan. First and foremost, I will need to gain access to professional development seminars so that I can learn a new technology each month. I believe that this is the most important resource because without learning how to properly implement a new technology in my classroom each month, I may not execute it in an effective manner (or the most effective way possible).

Another resource that I will need access to in order to carry out my plan is a survey tool that each student can take upon entering my class. I would like for the survey to be digital and flexible. Being flexible to me means it is not concrete. I want to be able to change the survey as the times change. I understand that learning styles will always be learning styles. However, the way in which I phrase a particular question may need to be altered in the event technologies or educational tools become obsolete or replaced by others.

The strategy I plan on using to learn how to use these tools is going to be a combination of self-guided learning and teacher collaboration. I believe that one can learn a lot simply by collaborating with his or her peers. Teachers who have used digital technologies in the past can guide me in choosing a tool that best fits my students’ needs. In addition, fellow teachers can also share their own experiences when using particular technologies that can further my knowledge base. Polling teachers on their thoughts/ concerns of using a particular tool in the classroom can also save me time when deciding which tool to use.

The only step I have taken so far is to attend a professional development on Google Earth. The seminar was amazing and I left with an array of lesson ideas that I can use to introduce the program as well as get the students involved in using it. As far as the survey is concerned, the only step I have taken was research what a current classmate suggested, and that was to go online and search for pre-made surveys online. As of today, I have not found anything that I particularly like, but I did come up with the idea of making it a digital survey.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Google Earth. http://earth.google.com/

6 comments:

  1. Workshops on new technologies would be a great resource for you to use in achieving your goal. It might become difficult or expensive to attend a different training each month. I agree that collaborating with other teacher may be the best option to learning new skills wih these tools. I have used Google Earth but not with my students. I would love more information about the kinds of lesson ideas you came away with from the training. Are there any links to resources you could share about lessons with Google Earth. Great post!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have not had much experience with Google Earth, but after reading your reaction, I will definitely have to look into it. As far as a survey tool, perhaps you can set up something web-based, like a class site students visit when you first meet with them. This allows you flexibility, introduces the technology to students right away, and may even allow you to have students retake it so you can easily track progress or changes. I am not entirely sure how you might do this, I know there are sites that let you create your own surveys, maybe you could use one? This was just something I thought of while reading your post. I'd love to know how it works out if/when you do.

    Krystin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I subscribe to www.edutopia.org and www.eschoolnews.com which both have webinars associated with a variety of technology integration topics. The eschool news sit also has a free magazine and also sends out eSchoolnews updates that really help me keep on top of all the latest issues related to educational technology. The edutopia site also has a magazine but you need to pay the yearly subscription which I find is worth every penny.

    If you want to create your own online survey, most online survey tools cost money if you want advanced feature or a greater number of questions. The www.zoomerang.com survey allows for 30 questions and 100 response per survey for free. The www.surveymonkey.com site allows 10 questions and 100 responses for free.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,

    I simply typed "Google Earth lesson plans" into the Google search bar and a couple of links popped up. Also, National Geographic has some activities on their website that work well with Google Earth. For example, there is a lesson called "Crack the Code" - dealing with latitude and longitude. It is fun and really easy for the students to use.

    I know going to conferences each month are expensive, but many of them are now being done via the Internet. The Smithsonian hosts online conferences that can be recorded and re-accessed. So, what I do is I sign up for it, have my computer set up and on the day of the conference and then view it when I have the time. Although the conference focuses on content, it shows how technology can be used in a learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krysten,

    The idea of having a web-based survey tool is a good idea, except that my students do not have official permission to be on the Internet. I have been allowed to bookmark sites that they can access like: http://www.learner.org/interactives/renaissance/ only because there are no links that bring the students to outside sites. There are incarcerated programs in California and New Jersey who have programs where inmates are allowed online, but New York is still pretty ancient when it comes to converting to the 21st century. So, when all of this happens, I will definitely let you know. I can say that it is going to be in the not-so-distant future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kevin,

    Thank you for the advice on eschoolnews and edutopia. I have heard of edutopia, but because many of the features did cost money, I stopped visiting the site. However, now that I know it is worth the money, I will definitely consider it.

    I have used surveymonkey before, but zoomerang offers more.


    Thanks for the advice... I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete