Sunday, November 1, 2009

Reflection

Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom has been one of the best classes I have taken so far. I believe that the course materials and portfolio activity have taught me to integrate technology into the classroom in an effective manner. The knowledge I have gained has transformed the way I teach my students. I have also noticed positive changes in my classroom as far as learning goes. My students have been more engaged in their work and I feel as if they are appreciating the content more. This course has definitely equipped me with techniques and materials that will guide me in preparing my students for the 21st century.

The most striking revelation I had was when I was teaching the students how to locate resources when using the Internet for a project on New York State. I did not realize how little my students knew about the Internet. Although they did not use it directly, I did prepare a lesson on basic Internet usage. Throughout out the lesson, the students revealed little or no knowledge about its vast capabilities. It was then that I realized how important it was to teach the students about the Internet. I also understood how pertinent it is for me to continue to grow with my students. As the years go by technology will change and grow. Overall, I feel that I have learned how important it is to effectively teach my students the skills they need to properly engage in 21st century technology.

The knowledge and experiences I have gained from this course have already had a huge impact on my teaching practices. I have integrated technology into each of my lessons and have taken a softer role in the classroom. I am no longer front and center. I have learned that when students are provided with the opportunity to learn, they will and it can be fun. I now attempt to design activities that are interactive and interesting instead of more traditional assignments. I believe that I will continue to incorporate projects that are student driven and include using multiple modalities of communication.

Professional development is something I feel strongly about. I think it is important for teachers to continue to learn new, innovative ways to teach their students. However, in addition to attending professional development for updated teaching practices and lessons, I would like to expand my knowledge on technology in the classroom. One goal I have for myself is to master learning the new Leopard server at my school. I plan on doing this by attending workshops and conferences focused on managing the product. Having computers in a classroom entails setting up and managing a network. Since I face a high rate of turnover, I need to be able to create and manage accounts in a timely and effective manner. Learning the system will keep the class running smoothly and it will also help me maintain a safe learning environment for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment