Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Personal GAME Plan

After visiting the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), I chose two areas within the National Education Standards for teachers that I feel I can improve upon. Although there are others areas that probably could use some tweaking, these areas I feel the least proficient in.


2c. Customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources.
Although I feel that I develop lessons that suit everyone’s personal preferences when it comes to learning, the reality is, I do not. There have been occasions when I have assumed a student knew something or understood something because I said it or showed it in a certain way.
However, it is unfair for me to think that every student is learning simply because I said it in a way that I would understand.

Goal: I would like it so that each and every one of my lessons addresses the learning styles of every student. I want the lesson to address their working strategies and I want it to fit within their technological abilities – even if it means creating an additional lesson that taught them how to do something.

Action: First, I will have to take the time to really get to know each of my students as far as their learning preferences are concerned (this could almost be a goal within itself). I can do this by interviewing or speaking to each student individually. I then have to create and execute a lesson where I exert what I learned from the students into the lesson.

Monitor: One way to monitor whether or not I am on my way to achieving my goal is to go back and re-pole or question the students. I can ask them to compare and contrast some of the things I did in the current lesson to past lessons. I can also monitor my achievement by assessing the students. Did John Doe perform better when I targeted his learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources? Was there a difference in the level of engagement when I took the time to create my lesson based upon their learning needs rather than developing a lesson based on what I feel is right?

Evaluation: Whether or not I met my goal will be based upon the conclusions I make while I monitor my progress. If my students’ content knowledge and levels of engagement increase, than I know I am creating lessons that are specific to their needs. This will be evident because the students will be responding positively to the lessons I plan.

3d. Model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.

I am the type that tends to use the technology that I am comfortable with – even though there are better technologies out there.

Goal: To learn and implement and continue the use of one new technology into the classroom a month.

Action: I will begin by creating a list of new technologies that I am unfamiliar with. I will then take the necessary steps to learn the new technology and then implement the use of that technology into my classroom. In doing so, I will create lessons that can be used to introduce the technology to the students. I will also create lessons where the technology is a component of the lesson.

Monitor: I will monitor my progress as to how well the students use and respond to the new technology. If I teach my students how to use a concept-mapping program, one way of monitoring my progress is through their use of the program. Is it a technology that the students have begun using in their own assignments/ projects? Did I model and facilitate effective use of the digital tool? How will I know… are the students utilizing the tools in an effective manner?

Evaluate: I will evaluate myself through the students. I will know that I achieved my goal because my students will be actively involved in the use of the new technology I introduce to them (or not introduce to them because chances are they might already be familiar with the technology). I will also evaluate myself based on the conclusions I make as I monitor my progress.

ISTE International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). NETS-T. Retrieved November 9, 2009, from Http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/FroTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T__Standards_Final.pdf

6 comments:

  1. J,

    That first goal is an aggressive one! I can't imagine trying to figure out all of that stuff about all 150 of my students! Best of luck.

    The second goal seems more manageable and it is a little more open ended. One new technology a month means you and your students could be exposed to 9 new things over the course of a year. WOW! That would be cool. Does your school have the capability to do this? It would be challenging to find athe resources for something like this at mine.

    Good ideas!

    Rob Winner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn,

    I can relate to your comment about becoming comfortable with a technology. The time constraints I face every day along with my personal hesitation towards change allow me to become to comfortable with a tool and then not consider others. Our students need to be exposed to a variety of technologies so I really like your second goal. During this process, I would try to keep good notes about what worked well and what did not so that you can determine if it is something you want to continue using. Your goal will certainly expose you and your students to a variety of technologies. It sounds like it will be a great learning experience for you and them.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second goal was really shocking. I cannot imagine seeking out and implementing one new technology a month. While I seek out and use new resources all of the time, I am not sure I would be able to meet such a lofty goal. My school simply does not have the access necessary. I agree with Rob's comment and ask if yours does. If so, then you are one very lucky teacher.

    I do have a suggestion that may help with your first goal and that is to do an inventory of students at the start of the year or term, depending on what you have. There are lots of reproducible resources out there that would allow you to find out more about a student's learning style from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob - I do agree that my 1st goal is an aggressive one, but, it is not entirely impossible. My students come and go on a regular basis and there is no way of knowing sometimes how long their stay might be. However, unlike other schools, I do teach in 3 hour blocks. The extended time allows me to really get to know my students during the time I do spend with them. It is within my best interest to learn as much as I can about each student because 3 hours can turn into 3 "hellish" hours - especially if I fail to develop a well-planned, thought out lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - I have plenty of class time to take advantage of introducing new technologies. Trust me, sometimes 3 hours is too long and when technology is involved, it is too short. Since time is a concern of yours, have you ever thought of starting up a technology club after school for students to join? This could be the time where you introduce students to new technologies. The kids in the club can design a wiki or a blog where they can communicate their experiences with the technology to others within the school. They can share their thoughts or opinions on the technologies they learn, post suggestions and even tricks/ tips for others to read. It can also be a place where they showcase the projects they create using the new technologies. It can almost be an online Consumer Reports for teachers and students within the district. I think it would be a club that many students would join. Plus it is a great club to list on a college resume or job application, especially in the 21st century. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krystin - I really love your suggestion about conducting an inventory of the students' learning abilities. Due the rate of turnover, I sometimes do not get a chance to really know a student. Unfortunately, all too often, they end up coming back. If I kept a file of each student's abilities, then I can refer to it and build on it. I am definitely going to research for reproducible inventories and tweak them to my liking. Again, it is a great suggestion and I am going to take full advantage of it!!!

    As far as access goes... we are working towards granting students limited internet access so that we can teach them how to be a learner in the 21st century. My school is in the process of updating all of our old computers and replacing them with new Apple computers. One might be surprised to see how good we already have it in the jail in comparison to other schools. However, we know that we need to continue to make improvements to our technology so that we can service our students better by properly preparing them for their futures. I am indeed a very lucky teacher who has the support of my Principal (who is a tech guru) and Corrections staff to model a 21st century school. I just hope that other obstacles do not stand in our way - like budgets and upper Admin.

    ReplyDelete